Girls love a sleepover party with friends where they spend the night talking, listening to music and playing sleepover games. Slumber parties should not be co-ed, so keep the guest list to girlfriends only! Sometimes there’s not much sleeping at these events, but a birthday sleepover can be a lot of fun!
Ordering the Slumber Party Supplies online will make the shopping chore much easier. It saves time and money to have the party ware and party favors delivered right to your home. Shop now for Slumber Party Supplies:
Popular Slumber Party Designs:
- Decide where the guests will sleep and bring in extra pillows, blankets and maybe a couple of flashlights. Plug in a small night light in the hall leading to the bathroom.
- Hang clear Christmas lights around a window frame or outline a doorway.
- Glow in the dark necklaces and bracelets for the girls to wear.
- Hang black paper on one wall and set out a cup full of gel pens for the girls to draw and doodle.
- If you’ll be serving food in a separate room, add a centerpiece and streamers in colors to match your party plates, plus a cluster of balloons at one end of the table.
- Bunches of helium balloons are all you need sometimes to make a room feel like a party! Purchase some mylar balloons that match your party theme and surround each one with a cluster of the cheaper latex balloons. Tie together 5 or 7 balloons, with the mylar slightly higher than the others. Then anchor the clusters of balloons in the room where the girls will spend the evening.
- Talking and giggling are often the main activities, but you don’t want the evening to turn into a gossip fest. You also don’t want them playing risky games like Truth or Dare, so have a few activities ready to keep the girls occupied for the first few hours.
- Mall Scavenger Hunt – The main entertainment for the party can be a scavenger hunt at your local shopping mall. Read the full instructions here to plan a mall scavenger hunt.
- Flip Flop Slippers – Decorate flip flops to wear during the sleepover using these easy directions from Family Fun.
- Sock Crafts – Supply colored socks and a few supplies to decorate them. Glue fake jewels onto the sock above the ankle. Or turn them into non-skid slipper socks with puffy fabric paint. Just add the paint onto the bottom of each sock in any design and let them dry overnight. This would also be fun using glow in the dark fabric paint.
- Makeover Station – Let the girls style each other’s hair with curls, braids, pony tails, hair extensions or fancy hair clips. You can also set up a Manicure & Pedicure area where the girls can do their nails.
- Pillow Case Ideas – Provide solid color pillowcases and fabric paint. Let each girl design her own pillow case to take home. These will need to dry overnight. Or use Autograph Pillow Cases. Provide white or light colored pillow cases for each girl and a package of fabric markers. Let the girls draw pictures and sign each other’s pillow cases.
- Movie Trivia – Choose a movie that is suitable for your guests’ age group. Watch the movie a day or two before the party and make up questions about the characters and the plot. For example, use quotes from different scenes and ask which character said it. Or who was wearing ______ during the _____ scene? After the girls have watched the movie, hand out the trivia questions and see who can get them all correct.
- Wig Head Styling – This idea works best with a small group of girls. Provide a Styrofoam wig head for each girl, a wig, and makeup. Include false eyelashes, eye shadow, lipsticks, eyeliner pencils and blush. Let each girl draw a face on her wig head using the makeup. When the faces are complete, have the girls put the wigs on their styling heads and model their creations. Then let them trade wigs if they want to. Take lots of photos!
- Bath Salts – Make bath salts to take home with this easy recipe: Let each girl pour one cup of Epsom salts into a quart size zip top bag. Add 2-3 drops of food coloring and a few drops of essential oil to make it smell good. Try lavender, orange, or any oil you think the girls will like. Zip the bag closed and shake until everything is well mixed. Makes enough for one bath.
- Soap Making – Purchase blocks of soap and a few soap molds at a craft store. Then find small items that will fit inside the molds (artificial flowers, shells, etc.). At the party, melt the soap blocks and help the girls pour it into the molds. Let them place a shell or flower bloom inside the molds before pouring in the liquid soap. The soap will harden in about 30 minutes, and pop right out of the molds. Put each bar of soap into a plastic bag and send home with the guests.
- Beaded Hair Accessories like ponytail holders and many other crafts to make hair accessories can be found at this craft site.
- Karaoke - check with your daughter to see if her friends will enjoy this, and pick up a karaoke cd of their favorite singer.
You want to provide a steady stream of snacks during the sleepover. This also provides you with an excellent reason to wander into the party room every so often to check what’s going on. Start with heavier food like pizza and bring lighter snacks later on. Here are some suggestions:
- Chips and dip
- Ice Cream Sundaes
- Hot, soft pretzels
- Brownies or Cookies
- Non-caffeine sodas like sprite and root beer plus mini water bottles.
- If this is a birthday celebration, you will also want a cake!
Breakfast the Next Morning:
Set out plates of mini muffins, or bagels and flavored cream cheese, waffles or pancakes, plus sliced fruit like strawberries, bananas, and apples. Be sure to have whipped cream as a treat to put on the waffles or pancakes. For drinks offer hot chocolate and orange juice.
You only need to hand out favors if the sleepover is a birthday party. Plus, any craft the girls make during the sleepover can double as a party favor. Take the work out of planning the favor bags by ordering complete Favor Sets. Or choose one larger item to give each girl as their favor, like this funky Spa Bear:
Take a look at our ideas for using personalized party supplies