Plan a fun Barney birthday party with our easy Barney Party Guide! Toddlers LOVE Barney the friendly purple dinosaur on the popular PBS show. Barney and his friends Baby Bop and her big brother BJ work with children on the show to learn about our world and solve problems. Each show has a theme such as making friends, playing fairly, or learning colors and numbers. And parents love the “Clean Up” song when Barney teaches everyone to share in cleaning up after they play!
Order your Barney party supplies online to make shopping easy. This is one of the best time-saving tips because you avoid making trips to different stores. Then use this party guide to plan the decorations, games and party activities.
To make your own Barney invitations, use a photo of Barney from the internet and add wording like this:
[Child’s name] is Turning [age] and
You’re Invited to a
Super – Dee – Duper Birthday Party!
Or you can order personalized dinosaur party invitations.
- Choose purple and green as the colors for streamers, balloons, and table covers.
- Make big purple footprints from construction paper and place them on the floor leading from the front door to the party room.
- Use a large appliance box to create a tree, just like on the show. Paint a tree trunk and branches on the sides and cut a door in the bottom so the kids can go inside.
- Make a big sun out of yellow poster board and place it on the wall or your front door.
- Use any Barney, BJ, and Baby Bop toys your child owns to make a centerpiece for the food table.
- Purchase some Barney mylar balloons and surround each one with a cluster of the cheaper latex balloons. Tie together 5 or 7 balloons, with the mylar one slightly higher than the others. Then anchor the clusters of balloons in prominent spots in the party room. Good placement ideas are at the entrance to the room, at one end of the food table, near the activities, and next to large furniture.Tie a balloon to the back of each chair, and tie a group of five balloons to the birthday child’s chair.
Barney May I – Lead the children in a game of “Mother, May I?” but change it to “Barney, May I?” Let the children take turns asking, “Barney, may I” followed by a certain number of steps. The first child to get to Barney gets to be Barney for a second round of the game.
Baby Bop Hop – Play music from the show and let the children dance.
Barney’s Dinosaur Egg Hunt – Fill lots of colorful plastic eggs with a few goldfish crackers and hide them in another room or the yard. Send the children to find them. Keep the hiding spots pretty obvious and low enough that the children can reach them.
Pin the Heart on Barney – Use a poster of Barney or draw your own on poster board. Cut out pink heart shapes and print each child’s name on one. Add a piece of double-sided tape to the hearts and let the kids take turns trying to place the heart on Barney’s chest. This game is usually played using a blind fold, but if any toddlers are scared by this, let them play without the blindfold. You want everyone to have fun and feel like a success.
Barney Sing-a-Long – Play songs from the Barney show and lead the children in singing along.
Barney’s Bean Bag Toss – Draw Barney’s face on a piece of poster board and cut out a large mouth shape. Decorate along the sides of his face with hearts or clouds. Let the children take turns throwing 3 bean bags into Barney’s mouth. It doesn’t matter if the children stand far away or walk right up to the poster to toss their bean bags. You want all the kids to succeed and feel like a winner.
A dinosaur piñata is always a hit with the kids!
- Serve pretzel sticks and call them dinosaur bones.
- Dinosaur chicken nuggets are available in the frozen food section of many grocery stores.
- Rice Crispy treats with purple decorator sugar sprinkled on top.
- Barney Cake Ideas:
- Make a dinosaur shaped cake from two round 9” layer cakes using these video directions. Just change the color of the frosting to purple.
- The Family Fun website shows another version of a dinosaur cake but it looks to me like you will need to make two to have enough cake. You could frost one purple as Barney and the second one green to be Baby Bop.
- Make cupcakes instead of a cake and frost them with purple icing like Barney or green icing like Baby Bop.
- Or use a dinosaur cake pan at home.